How to Add a PDF File to a WordPress Website
If you have ever visited this blog, you will know that I am a huge advocate of WordPress and all its magical powers. I use it for all kinds of projects and it is my source of inspiration. I have always felt that the software provides so much potential and that, with a little bit of imagination, any blog or website could be converted into an appealing online magazine.
The best part of WordPress is that it is extremely flexible and, with a little bit of effort, allows for nearly anything to be implemented. This is great for those who are seeking a quick, easy and affordable way to establish a web presence. Unfortunately, this also means that there are many cases where people have tried to abuse the platform and, in some instances, succeeded in doing so.
The good news is that you can add a lot of extra functionality to your WordPress site by simply including a few extra plugins. One of these is named ACF (Advanced Custom Fields) and it is a free plugin that allows for all kinds of features to be implemented and used on a blog or website. One such feature is the ability to include any type of media file (image, video, or audio) in the content that is being displayed on a blog post or website.
What is PDF (Portable Document Format)?
PDF is a portable document format that was first introduced in 1991 to help with the transfer of large amounts of data across networks. The standard evolved from Acrobat (Adobe’s PDF reader), which was introduced in the mid-1990s. PDF allows for the easy exchange of information between users. It is a popular option for e-books and digital magazines.
Why Should You Use It On Your WordPress Site?
There are so many benefits to using PDF files on your WordPress site. Here are just a few:
- Search Engines Love It – Big, well-designed, detailed and engaging content really does tend to perform well in the search engines.
- Social Media Is On The Rise – And With It, So Is The Need To Publish Frequent And Fresh Content
- Bounce Rates Are Through The Roof – People love it when they can engage with content that interests them and helps them to solve a problem or find an answer.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility – People love it when their favorite apps and websites behave similarly on different devices.
- User-Friendly Interface – Even those who are not technically minded find the PDF viewer on a computer or mobile device easy to use and intuitive.
- International Availability – PDF can be opened and viewed across all platforms, including mobile phones and tablets, and all countries.
- It Has A Long Life – PDF files can be updated and changed as many times as necessary without losing their original appearance. If a PDF file is not updated frequently, it can become unusable as it becomes outdated and, in some instances, this may even lead to security risks.
- Wide Support – As the format is open sourced and has a very active community supporting it, chances are, your issue will be fixed by someone else if you run into trouble.
- HTML Can Be Easily Embedded – If you have ever seen a blog post on a reputable site with an embedded HTML video, you will know what I mean. You click on the video, it opens in a new tab and play becomes available (if you have a YouTube account, you can even watch the video without leaving the page). It is pretty convenient for the reader and it makes your post look more professional.
When it comes to adding additional content to a website, the simplest and the most popular option is to use a content management system (CMS). What is CMS? It is a software application that allows for the creation and management of content (blogs, articles, website pages, product listings, etc.) online. The best part is that you can get a free, basic version that will allow you to try it out without any limitations. After you are convinced that this is the best option for your needs, you can move into a paid version that offers advanced features and plenty of flexibility.
How To Add a PDF File To A WordPress Website Using ACF
With the help of ACF, adding a PDF file to your WordPress site is very easy. To do this, navigate to Plugins > Add New > Plugin in your WordPress dashboard and click Activate. Now click Manage next to ACF, and you will see the following screen. Enter the Description below the Acf Settings (these are the settings for the Advanced Custom Fields plugin).
Image Uploader: This plugin allows you to easily add images to your content. Just click on the Add Images button below the description, and you will be presented with a dialog box where you can browse your computer or online network for images.
TinyPic: This is another great option for those seeking an easy and affordable way to add photos to their website. Just like the name suggests, this plugin is extremely small in size (less than 2.2 MB) and has a minimal interface. You will not find many options to configure as this plugin is very basic in nature.
The Steps To Add A PDF File To A WordPress Website
To add a PDF file to a WordPress website, you will need to do the following:
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New > Plugin in your WordPress dashboard and click Activate.
- Click Manage next to ACF, and you will see the following screen. Enter the Description below the Acf Settings (these are the settings for the Advanced Custom Fields plugin).
- Click on the Upload Files button below the Description. You will then be presented with a dialog box where you can browse your computer or online network for PDF files.
- Click on the Choose File button below the Upload Files button. You will then be presented with a dialog box where you can browse for and select the PDF file you want to add to your website.
- Click Open below the Choose File button and your PDF file will be added to the content on your WordPress site.
- Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate to the Publish button below the content you have added and click Publish. Your new PDF file will then be available for everyone to see.
Why Should You Use An Online Magazine On Your WordPress Site?
There are many reasons why you might want to use an online magazine on your WordPress site. Here are just a few: