How to Choose the Best WordPress Website Featured Image Size
Your WordPress website’s featured image is the little picture that appears at the top of your posts. It is a huge decision to pick an image for your blog’s header but it is also one of the most important decisions you will make as a content creator. Without a good-looking and catchy image, your content may struggle to be noticed. On the other hand, a poorly selected or chosen image can turn off readers and make them leave your site in droves. It is vital to understand the difference between popular and trendy versus essential and helpful when selecting a featured image for your WordPress blog.
Understand The Differences
A featured image is always going to be the main subject of the post it supports because it is the focus and it will usually be larger than the other images in the post. There are three important things to note about featured images:
- they should be relevant to the topic of the post
- they should match the rest of the content on your blog (colors, fonts, etc)
- they should be high-quality
These are all critical because if you follow these guidelines, the chances of your posts’ being noticed increase by a lot. If your posts are important and you want people to read them, make sure that the first thing they see when they visit your site is an image that draws them in. You can also use the first few sentences of your posts as an introduction and write a short description below the image. For example, if you are writing a post about buying a new wardrobe for the winter, you could write something like this:
“Shopping for a winter wardrobe isn’t easy. There are so many different options to choose from and not all of them are created equal. That’s why I’ve decided to write this post. I’ll tell you exactly what I’m looking for and why I need it. Then, I’ll highlight a few options that I think are worth checking out. Finally, I’ll put myself out there and say which one I personally prefer. This way, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting into.”
The 6 Ps Of Marketing
A well-known adage in marketing is the 6P’s of marketing:
These are the steps you need to take to ensure that your product is in the right place at the right time and that you’re promoting it effectively to the right audience. You can apply this to any marketing scenario including marketing a WordPress website.
6P’s Of Marketing For The Blogosphere
If you’re a content creator looking to market a blog, the 6P’s of marketing can be a little difficult to grasp. For example, you can’t really control where your content gets published nor can you always guarantee that your content will appear in the place you want it to. However, you can control the price and promotion of your content. This makes it a bit easier to apply the 6P’s of marketing to content creation because, well, you’re in full control of those two factors. Let’s take a look:
- Product: You can choose any type of product that you want to promote including your own stuff. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one choosing what to promote. However, keep in mind that the more expensive the product, the more potential customers you’ll have.
- Price: You can set the price of your product anywhere you want. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one choosing what price to set. However, keep in mind that higher prices usually mean higher quality which, in turn, can mean that your product is more popular.
- Promotion: You have complete control over the promotion of your product. You can set the price and you can choose where and when your product is promoted. You can put out a press release, start a blog series, hold a contest, or use any other type of promotional tactic you can think of. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one deciding what to do here. However, keep in mind that the more you promote, the more your product will be noticed.
- Place: You can choose from any location you want here including your own backyard. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one choosing where to place your product. However, keep in mind that if you want to sell a lot of your product, you should choose a place that has a lot of potential customers. That way, you’ll be able to sell a lot of your product. Additionally, make sure that the location you pick is easy to find on the internet. This is especially important if you want potential customers to find you online.
- Position: You can choose from any angle you want for this one including the front, the back, or even upside down (just kidding). There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one deciding what angle you want to present your product. However, keep in mind that if you want to sell a lot of your product, you should choose a position that is relevant to the target audience of your product. For example, if you’re selling fashion products, make sure that your position is relevant to that audience (i.e. fashion blogs, Vogue, etc.).
- Pitch: You can choose any type of pitch you want to use here including a narrative, an example, or a supporting image. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one deciding what to pitch. However, keep in mind that, for the most part, narrative pitches work better than visual ones. Additionally, make sure that your pitch is concise and has a clear call to action. If you want to sell a lot of your product, pick a pitch that will resonate with the audience that you’ve identified for your product. For example, if you’re pitching a blog to be featured on a luxury goods website, make sure that your pitch is relevant to that audience (i.e. luxury goods blogs, etc.).
- Performance: You can choose from any type of performance you want here including live, recorded, or video testimonials. There are no restrictions here because, well, you’re the one deciding what type of performance you want to use. However, keep in mind that live performances work better than recorded ones and videos are always going to be more engaging than text. Additionally, make sure that the people you choose to perform are actually good at speaking and that they have a relevant connection to your product. This will add credibility to the entire presentation. If you want to sell a lot of your product, pick a performance that will be the most effective and persuasive to your audience.
Pick A Suitable Platform
There are a variety of platforms you can use to host and promote your product but not all of them are suitable for every type of product. For example, if you’re looking for a general use platform, you should consider using a web hosting service like WordPress.com because, well, you’re just starting out and don’t have a lot of money to invest in a specific hosting platform.
However, if you’re looking for a more specialized use platform, you should consider using a blogging software like HubSpot.com because the additional functionality of this software makes it much more suitable for content creators. Using your personal email address to create a dedicated email address for your blog is also a good idea because you’ll have one email address for all of your online destinations (i.e. your personal email, your blog, etc.). This makes it much easier to keep all of your online correspondence in one place. Finally, make sure that the web host you choose is reputable because you’ll be putting a lot of trust in them. If you want to sell a lot of your product, make sure that they are capable of delivering on that promise. Look for reviews or visit websites like BBB (Better Business Bureau) to see how others rated their services.
Hopefully, this article will help you understand the importance of a good-looking and informative featured image for your blog or website. Make sure that the first thing your audience sees when they visit your site is an engaging and interesting image. Additionally, make sure that the image you choose is in line with your blog’s or website’s theme and colors because it can have a huge impact on your site’s (and blog’s) overall appearance. Finally, make sure that the image you choose is relevant to your target audience. If you want to sell a lot of your product, make sure that the image you choose will be persuasive to your audience.