\”Build a Simple, Responsive Website on an Easy to Manage WordPress Platform\”
WordPress is the most popular content management system in the world, and for good reason. It is simple to use, offers a wealth of features, and is extremely flexible. This is just what you need if you are looking to build a simple, yet effective, website.
Choosing a Hosting Service
However, before you start building your website with WordPress, you will need to consider investing in a hosting service. There are many benefits to hosting your website on the cloud, and we will list several of them below.
- Scalability: You can actually scale up and down as needed. For example, if you decide that you will need to grow your website significantly in the near future, you can simply add more hosting plans.
- Reliability: Hosting on the cloud ensures that your website will always work, regardless of whether you are online or offline. This is because the hosting provider is taking care of all the technicalities so that your website will always work seamlessly.
- Security: Every website owner knows that hackers are always looking to steal sensitive information such as credit card numbers and email addresses. By hosting your website on the cloud, you are protecting yourself from website hackers because all your website’s data is stored on a remote server which is beyond the reach of any harmful software or hacker.
- Backup: Even if your website is very low-traffic and does not generate any significant revenue, it is still valuable to you as an online portfolio. Having a backup of your website is crucial, and with so much flexibility with WordPress, it is easy to set up automated backups using a plugin like WP-Backup.
- Saving Money: It’s always good to save money, and in this case, you will be saving a significant amount of money. You’re not paying for the servers or the software; you’re simply paying for the hosting.
WordPress has been around for many years, and while it originally started as a simple blogging platform, it has evolved into a full-blown content management system that can host everything from blogs to galleries and portfolios to forums and stores.
Additionally, WordPress offers a wealth of free themes and plugins that you can use to build almost any kind of website you could imagine. With so much flexibility and many hosting options available, WordPress is the perfect solution for any web developer or business owner who is looking to launch a new website.
Choosing a Domain Names
If you are new to the world of web design, starting a blog, or are looking for a simple and straightforward method of building a website, you can use a free domain name search to get a.com,.net, or.org domain name. Some of the most popular domain extensions are:
- .com for commercial sites
- .net for networking sites
- .org for non-profit or educational sites
- .me for personal sites
As a general rule of thumb, you should always go for a.com when you set up your domain name. Why? Because anyone searching for your website’s name will be directed to its.com counterpart. This is called a “branding effect” and it essentially means that you are “branding” yourself as an expert in your field. Want to learn more? Watch this short video from Google on selecting a domain name.
Once you have your hosting service and domain name, all you need to do is install WordPress on your server. Installation is actually quite simple. You can use the one-click installer that comes with your hosting package or you can follow these simple steps:
- Go to your website’s dashboard.
- Click on the “Settings” tab.
- From there, you can choose to install WordPress using the one-click installer or download the WordPress installer from the WordPress website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to properly install WordPress on your webserver.
As you can see above, the steps to install WordPress are quite simple, and even if you are a complete beginner, you will not have any trouble doing it. Just make sure that you follow the on-screen instructions carefully, and don’t click on any suspicious links or download any suspicious software during the installation process.
Editing Your Site’s HTML
Now that you have WordPress installed and you are familiar with its layout, it’s time to start editing the default HTML that comes with WordPress. To do this, click on the “Edit HTML” icon in your WordPress dashboard. You will then see a screen similar to this one:
The highlighted area is what you will need to edit. Simply type in the desired changes and hit the “Update” button at the bottom of the page.
Now that your basics are taken care of, it’s time to move on to adding more features to your site. This can be quite an intimidating process, so take your time and do it step by step.