How to Choose a Free Cloud Hosting Solution for WordPress
So you want to create a blog, but don’t have the technical know-how or the money to buy your own server? You can use a free cloud hosting solution instead, which many big platforms offer. In this blog post, we’ll tell you what you need to know about these solutions so you can make the right choice for your needs.
The Beginner’s Advantage
Well-designed free cloud hosting solutions for WordPress offer several advantages for beginners, who may not know exactly what a server is or how to set up their own blog. Let’s take a look at some of these advantages:
- No need to purchase or maintain your own server. Most free cloud hosting solutions offer robust services that you can install and configure WordPress to work with almost any theme and any device.
- No technical know-how required. Even if you’re not a techie, you’ll have no trouble setting up a blog with these services.
- Fully managed. The hosting provider will take care of maintaining your blog, setting up new emails, etc.
- Cost-effective. You only pay for what you use. There are no heavy fees like you’d incur with other hosting solutions.
- Dedicated IP. A unique IP address (more commonly known as an “IP”) is a set of numbers that help web servers identify your device on the Internet. When someone tries to connect to a website, their device will communicate with the server that the website is hosted on. The dedicated IP allows your website to be accessible from any device, regardless of whether it’s online or not.
Like any other service, free cloud hosting solutions for WordPress have their downsides, which you need to be aware of:
- Lack of flexibility and control. While the managed service may be pretty robust, you still need to know how to manage the server yourself if you want to change anything about it.
- Limited storage. It’s unlikely that you’ll need more than 500MB of storage, but many hosts limit you to this amount. If you do go over this limit, you’ll have to purchase additional storage. You won’t necessarily have the money to do this, especially if your blog starts growing quickly.
- Frequent downtimes. Just like with any other service, you’re going to suffer from occasional downtime. However, these hosts are no more problematic than other hosting solutions when it comes to this. You’ll simply have to deal with whatever comes along and try your best to prevent further outages. If it happens frequently, you may decide that this is not the right solution for you.
- A more crowded experience. In addition to the other downsides listed above, the more websites you have on one server, the more crowded the Internet experience will become for your readers. If you have 200+ sites on your server, it’s almost certainly not the best solution for you. It’s not that you can’t have more than one site on one server. It’s that you shouldn’t have more than one site on one server.
The Best Free Cloud Hosting Solution
The best free cloud hosting solution for WordPress is one that allows you to control every aspect of the server. This means that you can install and configure WordPress to work with almost any theme and any device, as well as modify as much as you want without any downtime. You can also choose the platform and the amount of storage you have. You won’t necessarily need more than 500MB to get started, but you’ll have the freedom to use as much as you want once you’re happy with the layout of your blog.
When it comes to flexibility and control, both Bluehost and Siteground offer superb services that make it easy to create a fully-functional WordPress website without needing any special skills. If you’re looking for a free cloud hosting solution that offers exceptional support along with robust features, you can’t go wrong with these providers.