Free Web Hosting That Support WordPress
There are a variety of reasons why you may want to consider hosting a WordPress blog on a free web host. Perhaps you’re just testing the waters or perhaps you’re looking for a way to get your feet wet and try something new. Regardless of your reasoning, having a WordPress blog is easier than you think, and with a little bit of technical know-how, you can have a self-hosted, custom-designed blog in no time.
You may be wondering why you should host your WordPress blog on a free web host rather than a premium one. After all, the latter is generally considered to be the preferred choice among bloggers. There are several excellent reasons why you should host your WordPress blog on a free host.
- No payment required – You don’t have to pay a cent to host a WordPress blog on a free web host. In fact, most free hosts offer you something like cPanel, which is a popular web hosting control panel that allows you to effortlessly manage your site from a single-view dashboard.
- Free backups – When you host your WordPress blog on a free web host, you’re automatically backing it up every day, thanks to the web host’s backup service. You can access these backups via the web host’s security dashboard.
- Instant WordPress installation – Installing WordPress is a breeze, and the instant you have it installed, you can begin using it to build your blog. You don’t have to spend hours tweaking and configuring the CMS (Content Management System) to make it work the way you want it to.
- A variety of free themes – Not all free web hosts are created equal, and some have a much wider variety of themes to choose from than others. When you host your WordPress blog on a free host, you’re typically given access to a handful of free themes as well as the option to select your own. This can significantly widen your options when choosing a theme for your blog.
- Fully compatible with all major browsers – Most free hosts are completely compatible with any major browser including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This means you don’t have to worry about your blog not working on certain devices or being accessible from certain browsers. If you have a WordPress blog that you’d like to make available to the world, you should strive to host it on a free web host.
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) Compliance – In the event that you choose to host your WordPress blog on a free host, you’re in full compliance with GDPR as the data you collect will be aggregated and not tied to any individual visitor. This means you don’t have to worry about breaking any GDPR laws when it comes to the data you gather.
How Do I Host My WordPress Blog On A Free Web Host?
As previously mentioned, almost all free web hosts include the basic cPanel toolset that is used to manage a website or blog. You’ll usually be given the choice of either shared hosting or managed hosting when you sign up for a free host. If you’ve done any web hosting before, you may be familiar with the concept of shared hosting where multiple sites are stored on a single server and all of the sites share the same space. The difference between shared and managed hosting is that with the former, you have little to no control over the software programs that are running on the server (e.g., WordPress).
With managed hosting, you do have some control over the server programs (e.g., WordPress). This control comes in the form of additional tools such as the WordPress dashboard, which provides you with stats on how many visitors you’ve got, along with more detailed information about the number of times individuals have interacted with your content (e.g., clicks, likes, & shares).
Regardless of whether you choose shared or managed hosting with a free web host, you’ll need to install WordPress to use it for hosting purposes. After you’ve installed WordPress, you can use the dashboard to upload plugins and set up a theme for your site. As previously mentioned, cPanel provides a single-click install for WordPress which saves you a great deal of time and effort.
What Should I Look Forward To?
Apart from the various benefits that come with hosting your WordPress blog on a free host, you should also look forward to the fact that you don’t have to pay a cent! Not only that, but you won’t have to commit to any long-term contracts either, so you’re free to cancel at any time.
On the other hand, if you choose to host your WordPress blog on a premium web host, you’ll be required to pay a monthly fee which covers the cost of your web host’s services. In addition, you’ll have to purchase a domain and choose a premium theme to go along with your web host’s offering.