How to Host a WordPress Multisite
WordPress is one of the most popular open source content management systems (CMS) used to create blogs and websites. It’s free and easy to use, and thousands of plugins make it even more versatile. But what if you want to create a multisite network? In this article, you’ll discover how to host a WordPress multisite network with the help of Bluehost.
What Is a WordPress Multisite Network?
A WordPress multisite network is a simple way to create multiple websites within the same hosting account using WordPress. With a single WordPress install, you can have one website or blog. But what happens when you want to have two or more WordPress blogs? You can either install multiple instances of WordPress or use plugins to create a network of blogs from the same WordPress install.
Why Use Bluehost For WordPress Hosting?
There are many reasons why you should use Bluehost to host your WordPress sites, but let’s discuss a few:
- Cheap Price – Bluehost’s shared hosting plans start at just $2.95 per month.
- Security – You can rest assured that your sites are protected by Wildfire Security, a popular plugin that provides advanced security for your WordPress sites.
- Unlimited Disk Space – You can install as many WordPress installations as you like on a single cloud server, and you have unlimited space to store your media files (e.g. images, videos, and podcasts).
- Free DDoS Protection – If you’re hosting your sites on Bluehost, you’re also benefiting from their free DDoS protection.
- Free Domain Name – If you install the Bluehost app to your phone, you can register a new domain name with just one click.
How Do I Create A WordPress Multisite Network?
When you register for Bluehost, you’ll see a welcome email from them with instructions on how to set up your network. Simply follow those instructions and you’ll be up and running in no time.
To create a WordPress multisite network, you’ll first need to install the MultiSite+ plugin. Once installed, you can access the plugin’s dashboard where you can see your network’s overview.
From here, you can perform the following tasks:
- Manage the sites in your network.
- Choose the primary site for your network. If you have more than one site, you can choose the one you want to be the “main” site for your network (this is the site that will display on the Network Admin dashboard).
- Activate the sites you just created.
Once all sites are activated, you’ll see a confirmation email from Bluehost.
After I Create A WordPress Multisite Network, How Do I Use It?
Your network is now live, and you can start using it for whatever purposes you want. To get started, visit the sites in your network and you’ll see a “Welcome to…” message at the top of the page. From here, you can visit your site’s dashboard to see more details about the site and to perform any admin tasks you can think of.
WordPress makes it easy to develop a customized dashboard for your site, and you can use plugins to add features like live chat, reviews, and more. From the WordPress toolbar, you can also manage posts, create new posts, edit posts, and do a lot more.
What If I Don’t Want To Install WordPress On My Own?
If you don’t want to install WordPress on your own (e.g. because you don’t know how or you don’t have the time), Bluehost offers a full service alternative: