How to Add Your Custom Form to Your Website Button in WordPress
You can use the WordPress website builder to quickly and easily add a contact form or any other HTML form to your site. With WordPress, you don’t need to know any code to get things done; the interface is highly intuitive and anyone can use it. In this tutorial, we’ll teach you how to add a contact form to your WordPress website using the site builder. Along the way, we’ll cover a few basics about HTML forms, CSS, and WordPress.
What is a Contact Form?
A contact form is a web form that allows users to get in touch with you via your online presence. A contact form usually has five to seven fields—more frequently, there are six fields and it usually appears as a block on your website. Here’s an example of a contact form from Hotels.com:
In the example, you can see that the contact form has six fields; the user enters their name, email address, and phone number into the form, and then clicks the “Send message” button. After the contact form is submitted, the website will send an email to the provided email address with a confirmation that the message was received.
Why Do You Need a Contact Form On Your Website?
Having a contact form on your site lets potential subscribers reach out to you and request more information about your services or products. In general, you can say that having a contact form on your website is a good idea because:
- It’s easy to setup.
- It’s easy for visitors to fill out.
- It encourages email subscribers to engage with your content.
- It provides you with more exposure to possible new customers.
- It makes it easier for current customers to get in touch with you.
How to Add a Contact Form to Your WordPress Site
To add a contact form to your WordPress site, you will need to do the following steps:
1. Select “Blogs” from the left menu on your WordPress dashboard.
2. Once in the “Blogs” dashboard, you will see a list of your existing blogs. Click on the “Add New” button at the top of the page.
3. A popup dialog box will ask you to choose a form type; either “Contact Form” or “Blog Post”. We recommend choosing “Blog Post” because this is the most flexible form type and it allows you to add various blocks of content to your website—including a contact form.
4. Click on “Continue”. Then, you will be returned to the WordPress “Blogs” dashboard.
5. You will see a box containing all the blog posts and pages on your site. Highlight the box and click on the “Edit” button.
6. An editing window will appear. In the top right corner, you will see three horizontal lines—this is the CSS menu. To add a contact form to your WordPress site, you will need to scroll down and find the “Contact” menu item.
7. Highlight the “Contact” menu item and click on the “Add new item” button. A pop-up dialog box will appear with the name of the contact form you are adding.
8. In the “Contact” dialog box, you will see a button with the text “HTML”. Click on this button to enter the WordPress Custom HTML (HMTL) form editor. This is where you will enter the HTML code for your contact form. You are entering HTML code into a live preview area so you can easily see how your form will look.
The Final Step: Testing
When you’re done adding your contact form to your WordPress site, click on the “Preview” button in the top right corner of the HTML form editor. Your site will refresh and you will see a message confirming that your contact form is working correctly. If you want to add more contact forms, just follow the same steps.
Once you’ve added your contact form, you can either leave it as it is or you can start using the WordPress buttons you’ve created to drive traffic to different parts of your website. To learn more, visit the WordPress website builder help section.