How to Create a Free WordPress Grid Website
A lot of people are switching to digital nomads because they want to be able to create websites quickly and easily without needing a lot of experience. In this article, I will teach you what you need to know to create a WordPress website from scratch that looks professional and doesn’t require any design skills.
Why Make A WordPress Website?
WordPress is a content management system (CMS) that makes it easy for anyone to create a website without needing any experience. It is very popular among beginners because it is super easy to use and can be accessed via a web browser, which means anyone can use it. WordPress is completely free and open-source software, which means that anyone can modify and improve it as they see fit, for any purpose. This gives you complete creative control over the end product.
The Main Benefits Of A WordPress Website
There are a lot of benefits to having a WordPress website, some of which are described below.
- Wide User Base: According to WordPress, there are currently over 350 million active monthly users around the world. This means there is almost certainly someone out there who will be able to use your website.
- Instant Setup: Setting up a WordPress website is super easy, just a few minutes and you will have a fully functioning web presence.
- Fully Customizable: Once you have set up a WordPress website you can completely customize it with your own images, fonts, colors, and content to fit your needs. This means you can have a unique and professional looking web presence without needing any design skills.
- Cost Effective: Using WordPress for your website means you don’t have to worry about expensive web hosting or purchasing expensive domain names to make your site available online. This can easily be cost-effective because WordPress takes care of all the technical details for you, so you don’t need to worry about spending money on expensive tools or hiring experienced designers.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): If you are worried about your website not being found when users search for content related to your niche, you can use WordPress’s built-in SEO tools to make your site more visible to potential customers. These tools make it easy for you to determine the best keywords and phrases to use for your site and allow you to track the results of your SEO work. You can use free tools like Google Keyword Planner to find the best keywords and phrases for your site. Once you have a list of keywords you can use them to enter your site content, including articles, products, and services to gain a better understanding of what keywords and phrases your customers are using to find your site.
Setting Up A Free WordPress Website
To get started you will need to register a domain name for your website (I recommend namecheap), create a free blog account on WordPress.com, and install the WordPress software on your computer. Before you start working on your WordPress website you should confirm that you have valid email account that you can use to verify your domain name and blog. You will also need to install a security plugin such as XenForo or Comodo Dragon to protect your blog from hackers and malicious users.
Creating A Custom Login Page
When someone visits your website for the first time they will land on a login page. The login page is the page on your site that a user sees when they try to access your content or services. To create a custom login page for your WordPress website all you need to do is click the profile icon in the dashboard, then click settings and choose login. From here you can select a theme for your login page and customize it with your company’s branding.
Getting Started With WordPress
Once you have created your WordPress website you should visit the Dashboard section of your site. On the left hand side you will see an area called Tools. Here you will see a variety of different tools that you can use to get the most out of your website. You can install plugins from here to enhance your site’s functionality.
Making Changes To Your WordPress Website
To make changes to your website you will need to log in to your dashboard and click the Tools icon. Once in the Tools menu click Plugin then click Manage. You will see a list of all the plugins installed on your website. Drag and drop the plugins you want to remove or replace to the trash can icon at the top of the list. Once you have removed all the plugins you don’t need you can click Dashboard again and make the appropriate changes to your website design. If you are a plugin developer and would like to contribute your plugin for consideration then please read our Contributing Guide.
Designing A WordPress Website
If you are looking for a complete no-fluff tutorial on how to design a WordPress website then you have come to the right place! In this section we will cover all the aspects of designing a WordPress website from scratch with the minimum amount of information possible. We will only be using the visual editor (which is what you will use to write and format your content) for the most part, so you don’t need any design skills to follow along.
Create A Blank Slate
The first step in designing a WordPress website is to create a blank slate, this is the content that will be featured on your site and the information that your visitors will need to navigate your site. You can use a free tool like FreshBooks to easily create a free website with all the content you need. All you have to do is input your company’s name, email address, and a brief description of your product or service then click Create Website. You may have to verify your email address then wait for FreshBooks to process the information.
Prioritize Functionality Over Design
When designing a WordPress website you should always put your user’s needs first, never minding the style or aesthetic of your site. One of the main reasons people choose WordPress is because they want to be able to quickly publish content and be able to update it whenever they want, the less technical experience they have the more frustrated they will become if their site isn’t functional. Designing a WordPress website with functionality in mind will make your site better and more user-friendly, this is something you will definitely want to keep in mind.
Style Is Subjective
While design is important it is completely subjective and something that you need to put a lot of thought into, this is why you can have two professional looking websites with completely different designs and still use the same CMS. The key is to make sure that the information on your site is easy for users to find and that the style is consistent throughout.
Create Short, Snappy Headlines
When you are creating content for your website you should always think of what is important to say and make your headlines concise and easy to understand, this will make your content more appealing to potential customers and help them to digest the information you are providing.
For example, let’s say you are a hair dresser and your product is wigs, instead of writing “Learn How to Wear a Wig” you should write “How to Wear a Wig That Makes You Look Like a Professional” or “The Different Types of Wigs and How to Wear Each One”, keeping your headings concise will help your readers understand the point you are making without having to guess.
Choose A Suitable Font
When creating content for your site you should use a font that is easy to read and doesn’t require any specific software to be installed on your computer to read – this is important because if your font is difficult to read on your computer screen then it will be even more difficult for your users to read it on their phones or tablets.
You should also avoid using any font that is similar to Computer Modern, this is a type of font that is designed to be printed so it may not look the same when displayed on a screen – instead use a serif font like Avenir, which is a great hybrid between serif and sans serif fonts that offer a combination of elegance and functionality.