How to Choose the Best WordPress Hosting by Members
Many business owners know exactly what they need to do to create a successful website. They may have a clear mental picture in their head of what the product should look like, and how they want potential customers to interact with it. Once they have this clear idea in their mind, the designing and programming process can begin. Pretty soon, they will have a working website that can be used to communicate the brand and to gain new customers.
While this may be the most common scenario, it is not always going to be possible to simply dive in and code the site right away. Sometimes, there will be multiple tasks that have to be handled first, before the site can be launched. What happens when you’re running behind schedule? What if the tech team doesn’t have the access they need to fully function? These are all questions that could pop up, and the business owner may not have the time to answer them all before their deadline.
When this scenario presents itself, it may be time to consider a dedicated web host. A web host is an organization that maintains a server space and provides customers with the tools necessary to create websites. They will typically take on the responsibility of operating the website, ensuring that it is always available, and securing it from breaches and hacking attempts. A dedicated web host will usually cost you a bit more money, but they will save you tons of time, and potentially, expose you to less risks.
It is important to note here that not all web hosts are created equal. Some of them may cut corners and compromise your security for their own benefits. Always be suspicious of any web host that pressures you into buying large amounts of storage or bandwidth in order to get the best deal. These are the kinds of hosts that you should avoid like the plague. Instead, look for a quality host that is fully committed to your security and is willing to provide you with outstanding customer service.
Fortunately, we live in a world where there are alternatives to expensive dedicated web hosts. One of these alternatives is called WordPress hosting. What is WordPress hosting, and why should you consider it?
- A Vast Community – WordPress is a popular choice among independent bloggers and creative webmasters because it is extremely easy to use and gets the job done
- Massive BackUp Options – Did you ever lose all of your content in a botched clean-out? Or, perhaps you just realized that all of your articles are more than a year old, and you need to get them updated? Whatever the reason, when you’re scrambling to recover, you need a service that makes moving content a breeze
- Affordable – Even small websites can incur huge costs if you’re paying for extra features such as a dedicated IP address, multiple website domains, etc.
- User-Friendly – If your website is your brand’s online presence in all its glory, then it may be beneficial to the public to have an easily navigable and user-friendly site that is optimized for search engines
Features to Look Out For
When choosing a WordPress hosting service, it is important to be mindful of what you’re getting into. Are you looking for a free option? Or, are you prepared to pay a little more for greater features? Whichever you choose, make sure that the service you’re considering provides the following features:
- Free Domain Included – Many hosts will offer you a free domain for life, or for a certain period of time, if you’re their platinum customer. This can be a great feature for those who are just starting out, as it allows them to create a domain name for free that can be used indefinitely. You may also want to consider this if you’re on a tight budget and are unable to purchase your own domain name
- Free Site Loader – A site loader allows you to easily load and unload sites from a server, typically using the click of a button. They will often provide you with an exclusive link to a SaaS (Software as a Service) product, which is integrated into the load balancer. This makes site loading and unloading much simpler for the end user. Most importantly, it prevents any downtime when a website is being updated or migrated
- SSH Access – Did you ever want to login to your server and feel a little insecure doing so? Having SSH access means that you can login to the site using your username and password, and have full control over the server. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also use SSH to transfer files to and from the server, as well as modify settings, if necessary. This feature is especially useful if you’re a developer or system administrator, and need to make some changes to the server immediately. If you’re not comfortable doing so, then you should consider a remote desktop service, so that you have a PC or Mac computer visually nearby, that can be used to control the server. This can also be a time saver, as you won’t have to log in and out of different sessions to do different tasks
- SpamFree – Did you ever get tired of getting spam messages from unknown sources? Many hosts offer tools to prevent spam, as well as provide customer support if you’re ever targeted by spammers. The last thing you want is to get hit with a huge bill from a Chinese email marketing company you’ve never done business with before. Learn more about preventing spam here
- Robust Backup & Recovery – Did you ever lose all of your content in a botched clean-out? Or, perhaps you just realized that all of your articles are more than a year old, and you need to get them updated? Whatever the reason, when you’re scrambling to recover, you need a service that makes moving content a breeze. Many hosts offer tools to make backups and recoveries simple and quick. These tools can be accessed from anywhere, at any time, which makes them extremely handy. In addition, they should provide you with unlimited storage, so that you never have to worry about running out of room again. If you get tired of uploading and downloading files to and from your PC every two weeks, then consider storing things online with a service that provides unlimited storage space. This will make a world of difference
- Unlimited Domains – Did you ever want to create a free blog and use it as a way to promote your products or services? Many hosts will allow you to have as many domains as you want, with your own custom DNS settings, so that your blog can be accessed easily by anyone who knows its address. In addition, you can use this free domain to install and run multiple websites from one location, without the need to purchase a separate domain name for each site. This can save you a great deal of money, even if it’s just for educational purposes
- SSH Secure – Did you ever want to login to your server and feel a little insecure doing so? Having SSH secure authentication provides an extra layer of security, by requiring you to enter a special code, in addition to your username and password, when logging in to the server. This prevents unauthorized users from accessing your account and server, without your knowledge
Where Can I Find the Best Deals?
Do you want to find the best deals for WordPress hosting? Many hosts offer attractive discounts if you’re planning to purchase a multi-year plan. In some cases, you may be able to get an annual plan for free by signing up for a professional email service, such as Gmail, or Yahoo! Mail.
A lot of credit goes to Internet retailers, such as Shopbop, which provide a huge platform for people looking to purchase discounted items. If you’re planning to purchase a WordPress hosting service, and are looking for a great deal, then be sure to check out Shopbop.com.
If you’re serious about having a successful website, then it may be time to look into WordPress hosting. They will typically save you tons of time, and could expose you to fewer risks. In addition, if you ever get tired of uploading and downloading files to and from your PC every two weeks, then consider storing things online with a service that provides unlimited storage space. This can make a world of difference. Finally, if you’re looking for the best bargains, then be sure to check out Shopbop.com, as they often have discounts and attractive offers, for those seeking WordPress hosting.